There are several volunteer positions available at CORE. In general, volunteers are asked to serve for a minimum of four hours per month, on a weekly or bi-weekly basis, for three to six months. Most roles require an orientation and paperwork including a background check. Occasional one time volunteer opportunities for special events also exist.
Current volunteer opportunities
- Bodywork Practitioner – Share massage, acupuncture or energy work with clients. Appropriate training and licensing is required as well as a six-month commitment.
- Spanish Language Interpreter/Practitioner Assistant – Bi-lingual and bi-cultural Spanish speaking volunteers are needed to interpret for client appointments and movement classes. A language assessment and a shift of shadowing a current interpreter is done prior to beginning this role. This role requires a regular commitment of 2 hours per week.
- Translation Assistant – Assist with translating documents from English to Spanish or Spanish to English. This is an occasional role and can be done off-site.
- Children’s Activities – Assist staff with healthy and fun children’s activities while parents are participating in holistic health services. Support is needed on Monday, Wednesday and Friday evenings. Volunteers are asked to commit to one shift of one hour per week or two hours every other week.
- Sustainable Sprouts Kids Camp (July 31 – Aug 4 and Aug 7 – 11). Seeking volunteers ideally for one week of camp (5 days) for two hours or more per day, or volunteers who can commit to one full day of support.
- Group activity leader—an individual (or group) who would like to teach a 45-min to 1-hour long activity relating to sustainability, healthy eating, cooking, gardening, physical activity, or social skills/community building for a group of children ages 6-9 and/or 10-12.
- Camp assistant—group leader for small groups of campers and assist with tasks such as set up, clean up, bathroom breaks, and group dynamics.
- After-camp child care—Assistants who can help monitor children who stay after camp (from 3-5 pm) for creative play and assist camp staff with clean-up and preparation for the next day’s activities.
- Cooking Class Assistant – Assist with preparation, clean-up, and children’s activities during garden and nutrition cooking classes. This role requires a commitment of 1 or 2 Saturday afternoons per month from 12:30 – 3:30pm.
- Outreach – Attend events in the community to share information about CORE El Centro programs and services. This is an occasional volunteer role. Events are usually on weekends.
- Data Entry – Volunteers who are familiar with excel and are detail orientated enter data from our client pre- and post- service surveys or enter data for our United Voices Health Promoter Program. This is usually an on-going opportunity but sometimes, occasional data entry opportunities are available.
- Laundry – Assist with washing, drying, folding and restocking treatment rooms. Weekly or bi-weekly opportunities. This opportunity is also available at our Sojourner Truth satellite location.
- Ambassador – Greet clients and visitors at reception and help create a welcoming, safe and professional environment. Assist with check in, name tags and contributing to clients feeling a loving and healing environment as soon as they step off the stairwell. This opportunity is available at CORE El Centro or at our Sojourner Truth satellite location.
- Garden support – Assist with a variety of aspects of tending to the rooftop garden or at our Pete’s market garden site! Each month, a variety of shift times will be available and these times will be released in the beginning of the month. This opportunity is available for occasional or one time volunteering.
In general, volunteers are asked to serve for a minimum of four hours per month, on a weekly or bi-weekly basis, for three to six months. Most roles require an orientation and paperwork including a background check. Occasional one time volunteer opportunities for special events also exist.
Volunteering at CORE El Centro is a wonderful way to meet new people, participate in healthy fun activities, and contribute toward creating healthy changes in ourselves and our world. If you'd like to join us, contact our Volunteer Manager, Jillian Holy-Skaja or call her at 414-225-4263 to arrange a tour and introduction to CORE El Centro.